Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Popover Jumpsuit



I'm sewing along with Project Run & Play again as they start a new season! The first challenge was to remix the Oliver + S Popover Sundress Pattern.

I knew I needed to remake the sundress into something that was wearable for fall, but I still wanted it to keep some of the sundress features. I think this knit Popover Jumpsuit does both things.



As my nod to the original pattern, I kept the contrasting yoke and ties, but needed to change up the ties a bit. I'm pretty sure my new kindergartener is the one constantly asking for help opening up items in her lunchbox and I didn't want her to also be the one constantly asking her teacher to re-tie her clothing after she goes to the bathroom. So the shoulder ties are not really ties, just stretchy straps with bows tacked on top. Easy on. Easy off.



The bodice has a lot of gather, unlike the original pattern, and the leggings also were made to be wide and gathered. I encased a piece of elastic between the bodice and legging pieces to bring in the waist and tacked on another bow there too. The waist of this jumpsuit is made the same as in my Hopscotch Romper look.



Instead of wide leg pants on the jumpsuit I opted for more of a legging look finished off with contrasting bands. I really like the way they look on her, although my husband thinks they look like pajamas. But I knew even when this look was only in my head that he wouldn't like or appreciate it anyway. Not much of a jumpsuit guy :).



And since I wouldn't send her to school in just the jumpsuit (need to cover those cute little bare shoulders), I would style it either with a cardigan like below or pair a shirt underneath.



Any time I make this girl something other than a dress I run the risk of her never. wearing. it. again. It is super soft and comfortable and sooner or later she will need to be wearing pants or leggings to school any way so we shall see. Either way she will have something super cute to wear for her school's pajama day :).


***If you haven't voted for your favorite look yet over at Project Run & Play, head over there and vote! The contestants made some really great things.***

(Every time I sew along, I am so pleased I am not begging people to head over there and vote for me! Phew.)

11 comments:

  1. SO cute! I love the idea of just putting a bow on the straps so it can come off easily without tying. Great remix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice remix! is very fresh, comfy and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah her little silly face! How cute. I love this jumpsuit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun remix! I love the fabric and that it can be fall and winter with a warm top underneath. Great job! I'd love for you to link your outfit to our Fall Clothing Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahha - her silly face is so fun! Love the stripes and the great pants romper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! Glad to see you sewing along in PR&P once again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweeeeeeet. I would probably wear this. It looks majorly comfy& I really like the light pink+blue. It's an unexpected color combination. Great flip!

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this jumpsuit is just adorable with the tighter legging style. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I agree with you about shoulder ties.. I omitted it on my remix too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knit stripes and a romper equals AWESOMENESS!!! Love this Chelise!
    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's so tall Chelise!!!! Love the new posts!!

    ReplyDelete