Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Sewvivor Auditions- Strip-Pieced Shift Dress


I really tried not to audition for this competition. I mean right at this moment my family is in the middle of a big move. Last night we finished loading the U-haul, cleaned up shop, and today my husband is driving through New Mexico, Texas, the Oklahoma pan handle, and just into Kansas... halfway to Iowa City. I decided a couple weeks ago I wasn't going to audition because July is just crazy, but I just couldn't get it out of my head.

Or this dress. I couldn't pack away my boxes (and boxes and boxes) of sewing stuff until I got this dress out of my head and onto my six-year-old.

And this competition just sounds SO much fun. I'm bursting with ideas!


My idea was to piece together this dress in strips, using solids to create a patchwork that looks almost like a textile itself. I mean I would totally buy this fabric if it existed and I didn't have to spend hours piecing it all together.


For the silhoette I wanted a loose shift dress and I already had the perfect pattern for it, the Norah dress by MHC. It is an amazing pattern. See the Norah I made as Drew's Christmas dress last year! I did slightly modify the shape this time by adding length for my tall girl, lengthening the sleeves, and cutting down some of the A-line.


I also constructed it slightly different this time and I LOVE the results. The back of the original Norah is made with two pieces and has a slit at the neckline, but I didn't really want to cut up my pretty strips into two back pieces. So I cut my back as one piece, cut a line down it just where the slit was supposed to be, and when it was time to attach the lining I completely attached it all around the neckline and slit. After pulling the lining through and pressing, I got this cute little keyhole type slit. (For the slit, imagine how you would sew a welt pocket.) The neon shoelace trim was the perfect way to close it up.







This wasn't the most convenient time to sew a dress such as this, but so worth it. I hope I make it into the competition!!

37 comments:

  1. Ok, wow!!!! Your 6 year old is a lucky lady!!! This is amazing. I was hoping we'd see some apparel entered into the competition. Your piecing skills are so good. And the dimension of making into a dress is so neat. Reminds me of Caila's quilted board shorts from last season. Thanks so much for entering! Especially in the middle of your move... I think Sewvivor does strange things to people, but that's what it takes to sewvive, right? lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And Caila is awesome to be compared to :).

      Delete
  2. what an interesting twist to the entries. i had never thought to have seen a "quilted" outfit before.
    best of luck to you in the auditions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is FABULOUS! You're right, I'd totally buy the fabric too! Great entry - awesome dress. Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dress is FAB!! Good luck with the competition :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun dress! And the piecing is great! Good luck in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would totally buy that fabric if it existed without piecing. That dress looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous dress and an all around awesome idea! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah Chelise! This is really great! When I first saw this post pop up on my phone I didn't think you pieced it at all - just thought it was a great print! But once I read that, I was even more impressed.

    You are crazy for throwing your hat in the ring, but a good crazy. Hope you get in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just stunning. STUNNING! I"m so glad I read the details on how you made the dress because I didn't even realize at first it was pieced together strips of fabric. Wow. Best of luck with the competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks! I don't want all that piecing to go unnoticed for sure :)

      Delete
  10. wow Wow WOOOOOW this is the most amazing thing I have seen in a long long time. The colors, the shape, the sewing.....it is perfection!!

    Good luck for the audition - you know who I will vote for if you are being chosen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm pretty sure that with this dress you just became my biggest Blog crush :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, did THE Sewing Rabbit just say I'm a blog crush? On top of the world :)

      Delete
  12. Great work! So very inspiring! Best, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is incredible!! Wow!! Love the back slit!! Love everything!! Amazing! Wish you the best of luck, you totally deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Chelise! I'm in awe of this work of art. It's remarkable! Most artistic and creative creation I've seen on a long time. I think you are overqualified for that competition to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your opinion means a lot to me, Justine! I am major blushing! The last time I felt overqualified for something though was when I took my kids to see Smurfs 2 and I swear I got dumber just by watching it, hah!

      Delete
  15. Not that there is anything wrong with Sewvivor, but I wouldn't want to compete against you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Gorgeous! I am sure you will get a place in this competition!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing!! I'm blown away! And I'm so glad you are moving close to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. SHUT UP! Pretty sure you just sealed your Sewvivor fate! GOOD LUCK (not that you need it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There needs to be some more apparel entries, Tasha. Come on!!

      Delete
  19. This just seriously blew my mind. I'm FLOORED

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beyond fantastic!!!
    I absolutely love this, what a creative idea! And your model is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Um - wow. Just wow. Best of luck with auditions!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That dress is rocking' awesome. I would totally wear it, and I'm far from 6. I've no idea what a welt pocket is, but nice job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so INCREDIBLE! It belongs in a museum! As far as I am concerned you have already won the entire contest!!! and she is ADORABLE!!!! XXOOO, Cat
    PS:: seriously, you are an artist! XXOO Cat

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG! This dress is amazing! Great job. M

    ReplyDelete