Monday, August 11, 2014

Sewvivor Challenge #1: El Capitan Quilted Blazer



Sewvivor: Quilter's Edition has begun! The very first challenge for us is Nautical. We needed to sew something that is both nautically inspired and quilted, but not necessarily a quilt. I chose to make this classic navy fitted blazer, but a quilted version. I love it so much that I named it El Capitan!



The blazer is made with a navy suiting fabric and, combined with batting and linings, is the perfect weight for a fall coat. The main part of the blazer's front and back are quilted with a 2-inch diamond pattern while the sleeves, pockets, collar, lapels, and facings are 1-inch diamonds. As a starting point I used this Burda blazer pattern, although I altered the length, lapel shape, and added my own design elements like the pockets and back strap.



For the 20+ pieces of this pattern I first cut out a piece of suiting large enough for the pattern piece, then drew my quilting grid on each. I sandwiched these pieces with batting and a thin lining, then quilted, then subsequently cut the pattern piece from the quilted suiting. After all that quilting it felt so good to start constructing the jacket, matching seams, and watching the garment come to life. Lastly I lined it for a perfectly polished look.



A nautical blazer wouldn't be complete without gold buttons and you can find them on the sleeve vents, pockets, back strap, and front. I am so so proud and in love with this jacket.















Now I need your vote!!!

Head over to see what all 16 contestants sewed up for this nautical challenge and cast your vote HERE!

I believe 6 of us will be voted off after this week and I hope it is not me!






17 comments:

  1. This is great! Nice use of quilting in clothing - you're a tough competitor! Love the t-shirt too (and the nail polish colour).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, WOW! What a great interpretation on the theme! You pulled it off so well too. What great details. Enjoy your new fall jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like that would fit me too if you wanna send it my way after you move onto the next round. This is just amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Super cute and practical too. I wish I had the skills to be able to sew for myself. This is great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fantastic, and I just adore the lining, it really makes it pop! Great job and that was a lot of quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super awesome!!! And aren't you the cutest!!! What a great piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the competition keeps getting tougher! This is awesome! Great job!
    I love the addition of the gold buttons, so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW. i loooove this blazer, you did a seriously amazing job and i want to steal it. but holy cow there are some amazing quilts over there in the competition! i still voted for you tho. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fab!! I'm jealous and want one for myself :) Nice job.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so fantastic! I love it and it makes me wish the temperatures here in Houston were cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this jacket! It's so sailor darling! You go girl, Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely LOVE this jacket! I love all the little details you added it. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you did such a good job! i really love the pattern and he color, and the lining is awesome! must have take forever to do all that quilting... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love this Chelisa! And you are so cute!

    ReplyDelete