Friday, April 13, 2012

Mermaid for Eachother



Project Run & Play has begun and I am so excited! This is my first look, called Mermaid for Eachother. The challenge was a pattern remix of Dana's Circle Skirt Tutorial, a super simple skirt pattern with a million remix possibilities. This skirt was my sixth legitimate skirt idea, all of the previous plans being super cute, but just not feeling right. Recently Drew has been wearing and flopping mermaid fins all around the house and like every four-year-old girl, she lurves mermaids. In her eyes this skirt is by far the best thing I have ever made her, and I didn't succumb to buying her Disney paraphernalia, so I have done my job!



I definitely wanted to keep this look as a skirt, instead of make it into a dress, because skirts are so versatile and easy for little girls. To Dana's pattern I gave the skirt a lot more gather around the waist for a really full look, gave it a peek-a-boo lining, and added what I believe is the *ultimate* waistband for girls. I would use this waistband for any skirt, shorts, or pants. It looks so professional, is super comfortable, and is fully adjustable to grow with her. She will be able to wear this skirt for 2-3 years I am sure.



Which is great for all the hours I spent on the main feature of the skirt... the mermaids! I drew out the mermaid pattern and using fun fabric and fusible interfacing I attached them to the skirt. Then I painstakingly hand-stitched around each detail of those beauties while my husband and I relaxed together at night, me with needle in hand and him watching ESPN. I really enjoyed getting to work on this part of my look while sitting on the couch next to him, rather than behind my sewing machine. My favorite thing about this skirt is that just relaxed and from a distance, the mermaids make a really cool looking pattern. But spread it out and you can see the individual mermaids and that is cool too!



Not to be overlooked is the adorable gingham top. The best part about sewing clothing is all the fun little design decisions and details you can make. I cut the pockets on the bias along with all the trim and found just enough of the vintage rosebud buttons for the perfect touch. The collar has a secretary-ish tie and I just love the look of this top together with the skirt. Although each piece individually could pretty much be worn with anything else Drew has in her closet. I can't wait to mix 'em up! (I'd try gingham top with skinny jeans, except it is too hot for jeans already here in Phoenix!)











This photo shoot was a blast too. The girl refused to stop twirling and leaping around and being a bit of a dork with her glasses.




Please head on over to Project Run & Play and vote for my look on the top left sidebar!

21 comments:

  1. Just adorable, Chelsea!!! Love everything about it! The mermaids are amazing and the waist is very cleverly done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute - the mermaids are adorable! And I love the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a mermaid lover too who would die for that skirt!!!
    Your applique is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chelise, how funny that we were totally thinking the same thing on the bow blouse! It's so cute in the gingham. and your skirt is amazing! I'd love to know how to do that waistband. Really, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the waistband, and that top is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mermaid! I hope that you would show how you make an *ultimate* waistband

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are ubber talented. It is fabulous. Can't wait to vote for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore your skirt and would love to make one for my daugher. Do you have a pattern for this skirt.
    I'm new to your blog! It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know- I think you might need to post a tutorial for that genius waistband!! I love the colors and feel of your pics too, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Speechless. And when did drew lose her toddler chub?! Just when I think you couldn't be anymore talented you go and do something like this! Bravo, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those mermaids are the sweetest things ever! my daughter hasn't gotten into those yet!:) so, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your outfit. I voted for you and really is there any competition here? Yours is the best. Just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great design - so cute, darling model - I'm excited to see what you come up with next. What's the backgroud of you photo shoot? it looks great - what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the compliments everyone! I will put together a tutorial for the waistband and share.

    deborahk- The location of the photo shoot was a building in downtown Phoenix. The wall has the company's logo on it made completely out of bottlecaps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lindsee- No toddler chub anymore! The girl is skinny minny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! I just love the shirt and skirt combination!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, those mermaids are cute - and I LOVE that you did a print for the underskirt! Great idea, and I bet that looks just awesome when she twirls. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your mermaids are amazing! I love the hand stitching on them, and your waistband is so clever! Good luck! You have my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a darling outfit! The mermaids are perfect. :) I also like the peekaboo gingham under the skirt and the waist band.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a darling outfit. Like everyone said, the waistband is way too cool. The top is just precious too. I want one for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My girls would just go crazy for this outfit. Maybe just maybe you'll share a template and closeups for those mermaids - they are must haves!! Good job, Chelsea!!

    ReplyDelete