Thursday, February 6, 2014

Shades of Me- Denim Blue




A couple months ago when I heard about the Shades of Me series being hosted by Petit a Petit and Mouse House Creations and their goal to sew more for themselves in 2014, I got super excited! It has been my goal for a long time now to sew more for myself, but for some reason it is out of my comfort zone. I knew participating in this series would give me the motivation to do it. In the midst of my excitement I admit I forgot at first that I was largely pregnant, growing only larger, and would need to make a look to fit my third-trimester self.


So my goals for this look were to...


1. Use my assigned color, blue.


2. Make something that I could wear being largely pregnant and also post-partum and beyond.


3. Get the look sewn early enough that I could take pictures of myself before puffy face and ankles took over my body.


Some of these things were accomplished :).







When I was able to sign up for the color blue I felt I really scored, since it was my number one choice. But I actually had a hard time deciding what I was going to do with blue. I am in the midst of a fabric shopping hiatus and really didn't want to buy any fabric for this look. Once I decided what kind of dress I wanted to make, I searched my stash for anything blue, and came up with this super stretchy denim jegging material.


I had my doubts about a jegging-material dress, but us preggos, we like us some stretch. And it sure turned out comfortable.








The top of the dress I drafted from a fitted non-maternity tee of mine then just attached the midi skirt.

I live midi-length dresses.

When my bump is gone I plan to take in the waist just a bit at the side seams and the front of the dress should fall at just the right length. You know what else I really love? Mid-length sleeves. I do them all the time when I sew for my daughter. So I guess I have a thing for mid-length in my designs.








After sewing the finishing hem on the dress, I eagerly tried it on and instinctively my hands groped around for pockets to hide in. Why hadn't I thought of pockets?! Pockets in dresses take it up like 15 notches in my book and everything else was perfect about the dress, so it had to be done. I opened up the side seams and inserted some pockets and my hands were so happy.


Since I had used up every bit of jegging denim, I used some striped fabric for the pockets. It's kinda fun.









Making this dress and sewing for myself was so rewarding. My husband called me a nerd when I told him it gave me "a sewing high". The day after completing this dress I cut out two more of these dresses in different fabrics and whipped those out, almost doubling the size of my dwindling maternity closet. (Nothing fits me anymore! And I try not to sport the belly midriff look if at all possible.)









And guess what else was accomplished in all of this? I have sort-of maternity pictures! I am not one for a maternity photo shoot and definitely feel much more comfortable being behind the camera than in front of. Someday I think I will really like looking back at that belly though.




Want to keep track of all the lovely bloggers participating? Every day is a new color! And everyone can join the sew along and get that "sewing high" by sewing something for yourself. Follow along...





21 comments:

  1. Love it!! You look so adorable, Chelise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! You look so cute and comfy - what an adorable bump you have. These babies will be here before we know it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing and I LOVE your dress. The jegging fabric turned out perfect. I am soooo excited you sewed some more dresses too. And every dress should have pockets! Thank you sooo much for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look gorgeous, Chelise! Just glowing! Almost makes me want to have another child. Almost. LOL. The dress is super cute and hooray for comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your bump are gorgeous. I have that same fabric, and after several washes the color stayed that rich blue color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelise you look AMAZING!!! Love love love the dress....I have had plans of making 15 of those type of dresses for a long time....maybe one day ;-)
    Love the fabric too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so gorge - in the first picture I was like 'nah, she isn't showing yet'... then you get to the bottom and holy adorable bump!!!!! The dress is perfect and you are a radiant mama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I give up. You win! You look frigging incredible. I can't even... Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look stunning, I love this dress! I never would have imagined a jegging fabric dress, but this works!! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, wow. Just wow. You are insanely beautiful Chelise!!!

    Thank you so much for participating… I just can't get over how beautiful you are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks awesome! I'm inspired. I'm trying not to buy any new fabric either - this looks great with the jegging fabric. And I'll bet it's cozy too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chelsea, 13 people have already said that your look absolutely stunning and the dress is wonderful... Do you think you can put up with one more such comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - stunning! Love the dress, love the contrasting pocket fabric, love the belt, love the shoes and love the bump! Superb job! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never would have guessed it was jegging fabric. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dress is so perfect for your pregnancy and even after. Now I see where your little girl gets her striking good looks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! You hardly look pregnant in the first pic...and then pop! One month to go...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look SO GREAT! Miles cuter than I ever felt in my last pregnancy. Great dress. Really cool location too. I love the backdrop

    ReplyDelete
  18. SPOT ON. . . a stretchy denim blue fabric for a lovely maternity dress! You model it perfectly and assuredly you'll be able to alter it a bit so you can wear it for months and months. HAPPY days with your expected daughter due soon. Sarah Helene in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete