Thursday, April 8, 2010

Kitchen Transformation

Befores and afters. I wish this was a Chelise transformation post then I could show you this "before" of me on a grungy morning sweeping the kitchen, and a glamorous "after" of me in make-up and heels. Unfortunately I look pretty much the same at the moment as I did in this before shot two months ago. I HATE to post this, but it is the only before shot Jason got of this part of the kitchen.

Before:


After: (enter Chelise in a glamorous gown... or at least dressed for the day)


Before:


Afters:




Before lighting:


After lighting:


Before:


After:


Before:


Afters: (Hi Jason!)






Things to notice:

Jason made the most amazing bench under the bay window area. He can do anything.

I love these curtains I made out of cheap broadcloth fabric ($2 a yard) and added the vertical ruffles. I think they probably cost me about $20 for all four.

The spoon calendar! I have been collecting baby spoons and forks for a couple years now to make a magnetic calendar. I got the idea from my sis in law Brittney who made one out of her collection of skeleton keys. Just cut some sheet metal to fit inside a frame and glue craft magnets to whatever kind of collection you have.

New above the range microwave.

Why does my fridge look the same in all befores and afters? I could have it least cleaned it up a little, dang it.

Countertops went from pink to dark. This was a small budget remodel so we stuck with the laminate and spent about $600 instead of $4000 if we were to get granite. At this point in our lives we are really happy with the way the laminate looks and it was just the amount of money we wanted to put into the house anyway.

The cabinets are pretty white! We actually had help because Jason's dad owns a cabinet shop up in Show Low so we took down all the doors and sent them up to him to be sprayed white. Then we sanded all that was left and used a roller to get a smooth paint job on the rest. We bought new handles and hinges which made a world of difference. FYI- do not spend $6 a piece on handles or hinges at Home Depot or Lowes. We bought ours at Woodworker's Hardware for about $1.50 a piece. Although their site is a beast to navigate.

Rose bushes are the best. We have about a million roses right now.

Still more little things to do here and there, but for now it is done!

10 comments:

  1. Good job you guys!!! It looks awesome! You both are so handy, and btw, your yard looks awesome too. Ben and I are going to have to get some pointers on that part- we're very new to it. :) Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job!!! you are both so talented and ambitious. both inside and out are AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Love the paint color, love the spoon calendar, completely in love with the window bench.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "CHELSEA!!!" :)

    Sorry I had to say it. :) But your kitchen looks AMAZING!!! I am so jealous! I know I had talked to you before about painting our cabinets white, too. I've seriously wanted to do it since we moved into the house, but I got a painter to come over a few weeks ago and give me an estimate and he said that he's recommend not doing it because it would probably end up looking bad because we just had the cheap/fake oak cabinets. But I think ours look a lot like your old ones, except a little darker wood. Let me pick your brain! :) What kind of paint did you use? Sealer? Give me the info! :) Seriously, you guys are amazing. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelise!It looks awesome. I'm so impressed with the two of you. Your so ambitious and quite the team. I really need to learn some sewing skills.The sppon calendar is way cool. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelise I LOVE the Kitchen redo!! It turned out so good! I love the spoon calendar and the lemon artwork is really cool. And that bench seat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta love paint, it does amazing things and it shows. Your kitchen looks wonderful. I like your window bench also. So clever. Oh, and the swimsuit is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Your kitchen looks amazing! You guys did a great job! I LOVE the curtains you made and Drew swimsuit is amazing! Is there anything you can't do?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a transformation!! Chelise it looks amazing, a job well done!! Ps that Spoon calendar is so unique, I love it!

    ReplyDelete