Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Lesson in BCC

Wikepedia says, "In the context of e-mail, blind carbon copy (abbreviated BCC and sometimes referred to as Blind Courtesy Copy or Blank Carbon Copy) refers to the practice of sending a message to multiple recipients in such a way that what they receive does not contain the complete list of recipients."

I underestimated the power of BCC when I sent out the now criminalized Patterson Pumpkin Carving Contest Letter. What started out as a friendly little invite to our contest turned into my friends and family receiving multiple crude emails, and then apology emails... in other words filling up your inbox with more junk. In case you don't receive enough junk mail a day, like those pesky Nigerians telling you you won the lottery, just read the Patterson Pumpkin Letters, as they will now be called.

But seriously, I am sorry if anyone was offended.

From now on, only BCC for me. Lesson learned.

4 comments:

  1. No big deal. It takes a lot to offend a girl who grew up with brothers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...I was seriously scarred...yeah right. lol. I thought it was funny, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that was definitely a lesson to me on mass emails :) I wasn't offended (annoyed, yes, not offended, but then, that's why I'm a woman and not a man--so I don't regularly have to put up with that). I could totally imagine Brian's friends doing something like that :) I'm sure no one was offended, boys will be boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard Chris laugh that had in a really, really long time. I laughed too, but only because it didn't get sent to my ward's RS. So sorry...

    ReplyDelete