Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Purple is In








I had to make something out of this fuschia-ish purple fabric I found. I think next time I will follow an actual store-bought pattern. My method usually goes like this: I draw a sketch of the dress, I draw out pattern pieces on file folders, I cut out the fabric, and I start sewing together like crazy praying that it will all come together in the end. It usually does come together, but not without being more difficult than necessary.

Drew really liked wearing this dress. It was loose and gave her belly plenty of breathing room. I told Jason I'm going to have to start making toddler maternity wear for her and her belly. (I usually prefer the word "tummy" to "belly," but in her case it is definitely a belly.) Now all the outfit needs are some leggings and cute shoes.

Although Jason told me what a good job I did on the dress, he could only hold out so long without saying, "Hey, the 80's called. They want their ruffle back." I knew he would hate the ruffle!

6 comments:

  1. I think it's darling! She wears purple like a pro!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, you put me to shame--but what's new? :) It is ADORABLE!! And I seriously love the idea of making her dresses out of your old prom dresses (you mentioned that before). SUCH a good idea. I think I may have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness i just love that baby so much. She puts pretty much everyone to shame! That purple dress is dreamy. you will have to teach me to how sew one of these days sister and i will teach you something of my own... ok enough of that we know i got nothin. But really i love the dress and i love baby drew! She's perfect! Love you guys and miss you a whole lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress. I really like how you sew to make the thread show. It just gives it that much more detail. I'm lazy and go around all the detail when I sew, unless it's something I'm motivated on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ruffle... it makes the dress! you are a genius. Tell Jason... well jsut tell him he doesn't have a clue:)

    ReplyDelete