Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Old Ties

The coolest way to ever decorate an Easter egg is using silk ties. These are mine and Jason's eggs from three years ago. Jason gave me three or four of his old ties and I cut them up into big squares (big enough to wrap around an egg). Basically you wrap the right side of the tie square around the egg, then wrap over that with white sheet or rag material. Then you twisty tie or rubberband the end of the materials to secure. After you boil the eggs in a water/vinegar mixture, it completely transfers the design over to the egg. The very best part is unwrapping the egg at the end to see how it turned out. You have no idea how it will look! It is bounce-in-your-seat exciting.

Since that first year Jason has refused to give me any more of his ties. So the next year I picked up some from various secondhand stores for dirt cheap. Unfortunately, other people's silk ties do not perform as amazingly as my husbands. The designs wouldn't transfer well. But since Jason's ties are still off limits to me, this year I will just have to try for ties again at Salvation Army and hope I get lucky.

I would love to hear how it turns out if anyone else tries these this year.



9 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool. I know Tim wouldn't donate any ties to me, so I may have to din some cheap ones too. This sounds like a fun thing, what's the water vinager mixture?

    PS. What's the moving date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH a cool idea! I will seriously have to try this out--I'll let you know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited that you guys are moving down here what a treat!!! I can't wait to see you guys again..Gregg is a great guy you will like him I'm sure (I hope so..) haha and those eggs?? Marvelous. Thanks for the comment love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. will you take dereks old mission ties? he'll never know...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea - I may have to raid Dave's old ties while he is at school!

    P.S. Here is the link to my sister's house. You know Mesa is where it is at Chelise!
    http://www.flexmls.com/cgi-bin/mainmenu.cgi?cmd=url+other/run_public_link.html&public_link_tech_id=opbuilyn8j5&s=12&id=1&cid=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SO awesome! I want to try. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That. is. awesome. I don't suppose Coy would let me touch his precious ties, so I'd have to thrift it too. What is it with guys and their 10 year old ties?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks fun, I've never colored easter eggs before. My whole family hates boiled eggs so my mom would never do it cause we wouldn't eat them. I'll have to try it out this year. So, you guys are coming back to AZ? When and where are you looking for houses?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo fun. Yet again- impressed with your skills.

    Can I just say, "WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

    I am happy to know you will be moving away from the snow and closer to US!! :))) Congrats. See you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete